Welcome
Welcome to IS WINTER COMING?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Joe Abercrombie

Discussion of other authors and their works, including Steven Erikson, Joe Abercrombie, Stephen King, J.R.R. Tolkien, Shawn Speakman and many other great writers.

Joe Abercrombie

Postby kodali » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:10 am

Speaking of Joe, I got a friend at work hooked on his books. He's going through Before They Are Hanged now and keeps dropping by my desk to mention what certain characters are up to. I think Glokta is his favourite.
kodali
GRRMsguard

Re: Joe Abercrombie

Postby silentmajority » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:05 am

Joe Abercrombie talks about his next novel over at the Hotlist:

It’s a Tarantino Good, Bad, Ugly, it’s a Guillermo del Toro Lonesome Dove, it’s an Ingmar Bergman The Searchers. It’s a fantasy western, basically, in the same way that Best Served Cold was a fantasy gangster revenge story and The Heroes is a fantasy war story. Again set in the world of the First Law, again a sort of standalone featuring some familiar characters alongside some new faces, hopefully combining the edgy yet humorous approach to fantasy for which I am known and widely despised with some outside influences. No sixguns, alas, but a lot of other western motifs. And maybe a mechanical dragon.

Ahh, No six shooters. I was wondering about that.
Read The Geek Report A News Aggregator for Nerds and Geeks
silentmajority
The God Of GRRuMble

Postby scottishtroy » Mon May 02, 2011 12:30 pm

Loved the heroes. I love the way this guy continues to write about the same world, using different and familiar characters. I also love the way his themes change. The first trilogy, a bit of an epic story, the fourth book, a renvenge story, and the last book, a story centered around a few days of the war between the union and the north. Great writing.
scottishtroy
One of the Cool Kids

Postby Slynt » Mon May 02, 2011 12:54 pm

For each Joe novel I read, I think "Shit, he's even better than last time". And now, reading The Heroes, I am thinking it again. I thought Best Served Cold was fantastic, but so far The Heroes is even more interesting. Such a breeze to read after ten Malazan books of the fallen! Joe really cuts his story down to the barest bones and it works like fuck. Really impressed.
Slynt
Bowling Alley Squatter

Postby flodros » Wed May 04, 2011 7:35 pm

I read the first 2 books in his TFL series, and while it was OK I can't really see what all the fuss is about. About 2 weeks ago I bought the 3rd book in the series and still haven't read it, in spite of the fact the only new book I had to read was a wise mans fear by rothfuss.
flodros
Twitter Meltdown Minx

Highscores: 1

Postby Slynt » Tue May 10, 2011 12:17 pm

I wasn't too impressed with The First Law trilogy - though he clearly shows his characterization skills here - well, The Last Argument of Kings is stronger than the first two; Best Served Cold and The Heroes are much more interesting as they focus more on character and black humor than playing with the tropes of the genre. IMO!
Slynt
Bowling Alley Squatter

Postby spetty3736 » Sun May 29, 2011 5:50 pm

I am reading The First Law trilogy now after seeing it mentioned on these boards. It's a bit boring where I'm at right now, but I have seen hints of intrigue and I like the strong characters there are in the book. It's also a bit gritty. I am really excited to get to his newer books.
spetty3736
One of the Cool Kids

Postby kodali » Sun May 29, 2011 10:23 pm

I loved the TFL, I enjoyed BSC, but thought it kind of ran out of steam before the end. However The Heroes...oh yeah, that just never let up. Everytime I think of the 'cheese trap' it just makes me laugh.
kodali
GRRMsguard

Postby JapieQ » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:29 am

Almost done with BSC and am kind of dissapointed with it. After the superbly awesome prologue everything goes downhill. Somehow Abercrombie only manages to write awesome secondary characters (Morveer and Cosca) and makes his main characters real boring turds (whatshername and that pussy Northman). There are a lot of easy 'outs' in this book where I was hoping he would have come up with a smart solution instead of pulling some bunnies out of his head. And fuck, I do miss Glokta in this book.

I'm still going to read the Heroes though, I heard it's his best book and I already paid for it. After that back to Aubrey and Maturin!
"I would happily vote for a satisfactory TV-ending and no further books. It would be the end of George skullfucking the brains out of his own story. That shit is just tragic to witness."

- UnGregorian_Chanting
JapieQ
Ascendant God Of Detraction

Highscores: 5

Postby moose » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:20 am

I still haven't read Last Argument of Kings. There's something about Abercrombie that I like, but just find completely non-essential. Like, I enjoy reading the books, but when I'm not reading them I never think "I've got to hurry back and read some more".
moose
Bowling Alley Squatter

Postby JapieQ » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:47 pm

Ok, finished with Best Served Cold and already 100 pages into the Heroes, which I like much better already because the events here are less predictable (and how awesome is Tunny, great character).

But I have a nagging question about the end of BSC: who the heck is the person/are the people that save Friendly in the end from Shivers? Did I miss something or is this left out on purpose?
"I would happily vote for a satisfactory TV-ending and no further books. It would be the end of George skullfucking the brains out of his own story. That shit is just tragic to witness."

- UnGregorian_Chanting
JapieQ

Postby Slynt » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:48 am

Ever the awesome guy, Joe gives us a little synopsis of the next book A RED COUNTRY and if you ask me it sounds promising. And very westerny.

http://www.joeabercrombie.com/2012/02/02/part-iv/
Slynt
Bowling Alley Squatter

Postby silentmajority » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:28 am

Who do you think Lamb is, with the bloodiest past of all?

Could it be the Bloody Nine?
Read The Geek Report A News Aggregator for Nerds and Geeks
silentmajority
The God Of GRRuMble

Postby Altraum » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:02 pm

Hoy,

It might be. Can't really remember what happened to the other norhtmen like Dogman, Black Dow and Caul Shivers. But I like all the northerners, they make for some good reading.

Altraum...
Altraum
2015 Poster Of The Year

Postby JapieQ » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:41 pm

Finished the Heroes, by far his best book. Not too much focus on one character, and all the characters are just more interesting to read. It's actually one of the most awesome books I've read in recent years. As I said in the other topic, Gurm should be ashamed he shares his SFX prize with this book, unacceptable. I do hope he's not going to write a book about the war in Styria, although reading more about Tunny can't hurt of course.

- UnGregorian_Chanting
JapieQ

Next

Return to Other Literature