Welcome
Welcome to IS WINTER COMING?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

General Movie Thread

TV, cinema, gaming, music discussion.

Re: General Movie Thread

Postby Alex Greyjoy » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:20 am

Warcraft was a much better movie, at least from the technical standpoint. The plot there made a bit more sense too, as generic as it was. I didn't like it because I was bored most of the time, but I'd much rather watch it again than watch Assassin's Creed.

Fuck Dorne

Alex Greyjoy
Duke of Detraction

Postby Morgoth » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:14 pm

I agree. The generic nature of the plot didn't bother me much, because Warcraft has always been a poor man's LOTR in a way, but the execution disappointed me.
Too many (boring) conversations and too little action, apart from the typical Hollywood fare of pixel people clashing. The forest ambush was alright, but the 'final battle' of sorts was a letdown. It didn't help they were constantly cutting to the claymation golem fight, which was lame as well.
Mickey2093 wrote:Morgoth is NOT a particularly mature poster. Downright silly at times.

LadyDi wrote:He didn't choose the cock. The cock chose him.

https://www.goodreads.com/Val1989
Morgoth
Pinball Wizard

Postby Ser Kenneth » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:01 am

Not a new movie, but one I was recently made aware of when it was added to Netflix: Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story.

It's one of the funniest movies I have seen in years. A parody of all those big Oscar bait music biopics like Ray and Walk the Line that used to be all the rage some years back. Great cinematography that could be taken right out of the movies it parodies, a soundtrack that is not only funny, but also genuinely good, and a great star studded cast. As far as music comedies go, It's right up there with Spinal Tap.
"It's only publishers and some journalists who believe that people want simple things. People are tired of simple things. They want to be challenged." - Umberto Eco

https://www.goodreads.com/SerKenneth
Ser Kenneth
Swedish Basement Dominatrix

Postby JapieQ » Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:33 am

I watched the new Ghostbusters expecting nothing but was entertained immensely. It holds up quite well compared to the original. Especially Kate McKinnon stood out with a great comedic performance.
"I would happily vote for a satisfactory TV-ending and no further books. It would be the end of George skullfucking the brains out of his own story. That shit is just tragic to witness."

- UnGregorian_Chanting
JapieQ
Ascendant God Of Detraction

Highscores: 5

Postby Morgoth » Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:12 am

JapieQ wrote:I watched the new Ghostbusters expecting nothing but was entertained immensely. It holds up quite well compared to the original. Especially Kate McKinnon stood out with a great comedic performance.

I agree. Actually enjoyed the new Ghostbusters a lot.
Shame we (apparently) won't get a sequel.
Mickey2093 wrote:Morgoth is NOT a particularly mature poster. Downright silly at times.

Morgoth
Pinball Wizard

Postby pamparius » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:35 pm

Warcraft is the poor man's Warhammer (Warcraft was originally designed as a Warhammer game, but the license for the IP was pulled before it was finished) which in turn is the poor man's LOTR. And boy, could I not disagree more with you guys on ghostbusters, but those movies kinda died with Harold Ramis for me so I was going in with a biased attitude.
Last edited by pamparius on Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pamparius
4.5-Star Assistant Clerk

Postby Mickey2093 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:37 pm

So I saw the trailer for the movie Logan.
I have no idea how the movie will be, but that trailer was kickin' -
the music they used perfectly fit the imagery, and it was all very dark.
I'll definitely have to see if the movie lives up to the trailer...
pamparius wrote:...Mickey said, surprising nobody :green:
FalseKnight wrote:Mickey is sort of an expert on Dicks.
Uruk wrote:Why fuck longer the pussy of delay?
Mickey2093
Dicktractor

Postby pamparius » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:40 pm

I love that they're bringing in X-23, and one last ride as Charles Xavier for Patrick Stewart is really cool too. He really is perfect for the role.
pamparius
4.5-Star Assistant Clerk

Postby Mickey2093 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:28 pm

pamparius wrote:I love that they're bringing in X-23, and one last ride as Charles Xavier for Patrick Stewart is really cool too. He really is perfect for the role.

My sentiments exactly, rw: stewart -
I love that actor...
pamparius wrote:...Mickey said, surprising nobody :green:
FalseKnight wrote:Mickey is sort of an expert on Dicks.
Uruk wrote:Why fuck longer the pussy of delay?
Mickey2093
Dicktractor

Postby Exscabular » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:13 am

Watched 'Starship Trooper" and I am following up by reading the book. What a great movie though. Makes me want to enlist.
Exscabular
Nefarious Nipple Tweaker

Postby Morgoth » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:33 pm

La La Land -I honestly thought it was crap. Gosling and Stone can't sing for ****, and both their characters are insufferable asses. Plus, it's somewhat amusing to me that other movies like Great Wall get piled on because of the "white savior" bs, but here nobody bats an eye about white dude saving 'real jazz' from dying.

Great Wall -Not Trump's, but Zhang Yimou's. I honestly had a lot of fun with this one, despite the story is nothing special (and ends with a sci-fi trope that annoys the hell out of me). There's plenty of colors! Something that is mostly missing from nowaday's Hollywood, in which "dark and gritty" seems to be the norm. Also, good editing and cinematography, instead of thousands of quick cuts and shaky cam. You can argue Yimou has been reduced to a hack by accepting this job, but still his talent shines. Plenty of action and surprising amount of gore for a PG-13 film (mostly from the monsters, but still).

Resident Evil: Final Chapter -Maybe it'll be indeed the final one, considering the pummeling it suffered at the domestic box office. Surprisingly, it tries to tell a story and tie up some loose ends, instead of being a parade of one action set piece after another. Still, there's plenty of plot holes and retcons, some characters disappear without explanation and most of the cast is there to serve as cannon fodder. Sadly (for me), Anderson ditches the style he used for Afterlife and Retribution and goes back to his roots so to speak, with quick cuts and shaky cam. Wesker is disposed of in a rather disappointing way.
Still, I was entertained enough, and Iain Glen hamming it up is a pleasure to watch. You can tell Jovovich is having fun, too. Fanboys who keep wailing "it's not like the game" is an added plus.

Morgoth
Pinball Wizard

Postby Ser Kenneth » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:31 pm

Just watched Lego Batman at the cinema and I was very impressed with it. In fact I'd go so far and say it is the most entertained I have been by a super hero movie in years. I especially love how it treats ALL the previous live action Batman movies as if they are part of the Lego Batman canon. Oh and I love that Sauron, Voldemort, and the T-rex from Jurassic Park are in it.
"It's only publishers and some journalists who believe that people want simple things. People are tired of simple things. They want to be challenged." - Umberto Eco

https://www.goodreads.com/SerKenneth
Ser Kenneth
Swedish Basement Dominatrix

Postby JapieQ » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:23 pm

I can't wait to watch LaLaLand and take a huge big dump on it.
"I would happily vote for a satisfactory TV-ending and no further books. It would be the end of George skullfucking the brains out of his own story. That shit is just tragic to witness."

- UnGregorian_Chanting
JapieQ
Ascendant God Of Detraction

Highscores: 5

Postby Morgoth » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:11 am

JapieQ wrote:I can't wait to watch LaLaLand and take a huge big dump on it.

I for one can't wait to read your reactions about LaLaLand.

Morgoth
Pinball Wizard

Postby Karsa » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:21 am

JapieQ wrote:I can't wait to watch LaLaLand and take a huge big dump on it.

Awww - so sweet! Can´t wait to watch it to dump on it??? You Dutch little cupcake - I call shenanigans!!
:snicker: :snicker: :gurm: :gurm: :aryalaugh: :aryalaugh: :aryalaugh:
"We're discussing giants robots here. Please stay on topic"

I, Gurm
- NAB -
Karsa
Janitor From Hell

Highscores: 10

Previous

Return to Culture