Welcome
Welcome to IS WINTER COMING?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Erikson & Esslemont - Malazan Book of the Fallen & Novels

Discussion of other authors and their works, including Steven Erikson, Joe Abercrombie, Stephen King, J.R.R. Tolkien, Shawn Speakman and many other great writers.

Re: Erikson & Esslemont - Malazan Book of the Fallen & Novel

Postby JakeMagnus » Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:51 pm

I did get to book nine, so at least I tried. I guess if it was a continuing story I'd finish it, but there's not much left from what the first few books were about so I don't care quitting now. I do still feel that book three is one of the best novels I have ever read, and two and four come close. So I guess that's something.
JakeMagnus
12 Hour Work Day

Postby Morgoth » Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:09 am

Good thing you never tried Esslemont. I bailed on Return of the Crimson Guard, after enduring Night of Knives.
Mickey2093 wrote:Morgoth is NOT a particularly mature poster. Downright silly at times.

LadyDi wrote:He didn't choose the cock. The cock chose him.

https://www.goodreads.com/Val1989
Morgoth
Pinball Wizard

Postby JakeMagnus » Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:26 am

So glad I listened to you guys!
JakeMagnus
12 Hour Work Day

Postby Morgoth » Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:42 pm

About to finish with House of Chains. It took me a while, almost the whole year. Since it's a heavy book and I wasn't able to carry it with me, and such...And also because sometimes the plot came screeching to a halt for me.
I feel like Erikson got pretty self-indulgent this time. Not as bad as Gurm, but still. Karsa's plot was mostly good, but I honestly would've been ok without all the filler, like placing a trap for the dogs, breaking the alpha male and so on, only to have all the damn dogs killed afterwards. Same with this whole Nom business, in which Karsa kept getting trapped until the next deus ex came along. Blah blah blah. I feel like a hundred pages could've been easily lopped off.
As for the rest, I've mostly liked Tavore/Gamet/Fiddler. Pearl and Lostara Yil feels like filler, as they're mostly retreading Felisin's path from Deadhouse Gates. Heboric is fine, both Felisins can go eff themselves (you just had to give me yet another Felisin, didn't you Erikson, since I loved the first one so much). Onrack and the other Sengar dude don't feel relevant to the rest of the plot, but I guess I could be wrong? I mean, other than the killing of L'oric's familiar. Then Karsa in Raraku, again, I like the character but his journey is too travelogue-like for my taste. Blah blah blah. Only that instead of actual teblors he talks to their ghosts, which is hardly different.
Crokus/Cutter remains as obnoxious as ever. Sorry/Apsalar remains as uninteresting as ever. Kalam/Pust, amusing but too many pages describing Pust's hijinks, hiding from his wife, the monkeys etc.

So yeah, not a bad book but it's bloated. For me. Would a re-read improve it in any way? Not sure, too early to think about re-reads.
Mickey2093 wrote:Morgoth is NOT a particularly mature poster. Downright silly at times.

LadyDi wrote:He didn't choose the cock. The cock chose him.

https://www.goodreads.com/Val1989
Morgoth
Pinball Wizard

Postby JakeMagnus » Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:53 pm

I didn't even get that they were monkeys until book 8. I always pictured them as big bat-like creatures for some reason.
JakeMagnus
12 Hour Work Day

Postby Dolan » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:34 am

Just bought the Brazilian translation of Gardens of the Moon, published recently, can't wait to start reading it.
Dolan
Bad Hombre

Postby Dolan » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:07 pm

I'm still struggling through ICE's Dancer's Lament and it's... rough. Reads like a parade of fantasy clichés with bad comic relief in between.
Dolan
Bad Hombre

Postby Karsa » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:17 pm

Dolan wrote:I'm still struggling through ICE's Dancer's Lament and it's... rough. Reads like a parade of fantasy clichés with bad comic relief in between.

You are still insisting with Esslemont.
Courageous man.
"We're discussing giants robots here. Please stay on topic"

I, Gurm
- NAB -
Karsa
Janitor From Hell

Highscores: 10

Postby Dolan » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:26 am

The PT-BR translation of Gardens of the Moon (awesome cover btw) just arrived and I'm tempted to check it out and quit ICE for a while.
Dolan
Bad Hombre

Previous

Return to Other Literature