Welcome
Welcome to IS WINTER COMING?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

What Are You Watching?

TV, cinema, gaming, music discussion.

Re: What Are You Watching?

Postby Den Mother » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:13 pm

Emerald City - love the way it looks. Loved the Fall by Tara Singh.
Expanse coming back. Do like This is Us, but not all the time. Did not like the last Sherlock episode. Felt it too drawn out. Not interested in sister. The de Medici series is good. Very beautiful shots of Italy and the towns involved. Beyond - I didn't think I would like it but I do.
The O.T. Strange. Watched it a little, and then watched the ending choreography on you tube in curiosity.
Hope all of you have a great 2017.
DM
Den Mother
WordStar Whisperer

Postby pamparius » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:42 pm

my girl is really into Riverdale and it's slowly killing me on the inside. Everytime we watch it I have so many questions. All the characters are insufferable. The plot makes no sense. The world they inhabit is ridiculous. The teen drama is maximum cringe.

In the last episode, Betty, who runs the school newspaper teams up with Veronica to write an article about how Chuck Clayton, the captain of the school football team lies about the girl's he hooks up with and then subsequently destroys their reputations by "**** shaming" them. So they gather up all the girls he's lied about and they start taking down their side of the story. Cool, that makes sense.

But then later they decide that to cap off their investigation they need to get Chuck to admit to his lies. Their plan for going about this is to lure him to Ethel's, another student (played by "Barb" from Stranger Things) house with the promise of a Betty-Veronica threesome. They then trap him in a hot tub by drugging him (with drugs and booze) and then handcuffing him. They then, to get him to admit to it, begin to torture him by slowly turning up the heat and "boiling" him. They record video of the entire event. They print the paper and release the video and "hurray! justice is done!", with absolutely no consequences FOR THE MULTITUDE OF FUCKING FELONIES THEY JUST COMMITTED.

Oh and Archie is the worst. Just a total shitgibbon if ever there was one.
pamparius
4.5-Star Assistant Clerk

Postby Alex Greyjoy » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:33 pm

24: Legacy has started and I'm kinda liking it. The main plot seems unusually dumb even by 24's standards, though.

Fuck Dorne

Alex Greyjoy
Duke of Detraction

Postby Exscabular » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:09 pm

Dirk Gently and the Holistic Detective Agency.
Season one.

I'd watch another season.

It was sort of like BBC comedy meets American action tv series. Totally over the top. I was surprised at how touching it was watch the characters grow and develop. Except for Elijah Wood. But even he came with a surprise.
Exscabular
Nefarious Nipple Tweaker

Postby Alex Greyjoy » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:09 pm

I'm still watching 24:Legacy. It is so dumb, it's amazing. It's a collection of the dumbest parts of the original series, with the dumb factor turned to 11.

However, it's still 24, so I'm with it till the bitter end.

Fuck Dorne

Alex Greyjoy
Duke of Detraction

Postby Onrack » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:22 pm

Young Pope. It fucking owns. Surreal, funny, beautiful, Jude Law as the kangaroo taming Unholy Roman Emperor. Show of the year, or last year, whatever.
Onrack
Grizzled GRRuMbler

Postby Ser Kenneth » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:54 pm

Onrack wrote:Young Pope. It fucking owns. Surreal, funny, beautiful, Jude Law as the kangaroo taming Unholy Roman Emperor. Show of the year, or last year, whatever.

It's absolutely amazing! Great direction and just great performances from a very strong cast.

I finally got around to watching Rogue One. There was some great battle scenes towards the end, but man that was a really boring movie. I watched it a week ago and i don't remember the name of a single character.
"It's only publishers and some journalists who believe that people want simple things. People are tired of simple things. They want to be challenged." - Umberto Eco

https://www.goodreads.com/SerKenneth
Ser Kenneth
Swedish Basement Dominatrix

Postby Morgoth » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:58 pm

SK -We couldn't disagree more, bro. I really liked Rogue One a lot, even more so than previous SW flicks.
Young Pope is just weird and boring. It's technically amazing, I'll give it that much (the costumes, the cinematography, etc) but it's mostly a slog. 10 hours of Jude Law berating underlings, smoking, and uttering 'edgy' lines such as "I prayed so hard I almost shat my pants".
It tries to provocate with the subtlety of a Cradle of Filth song.
Mickey2093 wrote:Morgoth is NOT a particularly mature poster. Downright silly at times.

LadyDi wrote:He didn't choose the cock. The cock chose him.

https://www.goodreads.com/Val1989
Morgoth
Pinball Wizard

Postby Breaker of Trolls » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:19 pm

Exscabular wrote:Dirk Gently and the Holistic Detective Agency.
Season one.

It was sort of like BBC comedy meets American action tv series. Totally over the top. I was surprised at how touching it was watch the characters grow and develop. Except for Elijah Wood. But even he came with a surprise.

Wait. What???

Someone made Dirk Gently... into a tv series???

I watched the first few episodes of The Young Pope, but I found it only so-so.
Maybe I just wasn't in the right frame of mind, but I didn't feel compelled to keep watching.

I don't watch much tv as it is, but I finally did get caught up on The Americans.
Breaker of Trolls
WiC DiC

Postby Alex Greyjoy » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:35 pm

Breaker of Trolls wrote:
Season one.

Wait. What???

Maybe I just wasn't in the right frame of mind, but I didn't feel compelled to keep watching.

I don't watch much tv as it is, but I finally did get caught up on The Americans.

The Americans' new season is great. IMO, this is the best drama currently on TV.

Fuck Dorne

Alex Greyjoy
Duke of Detraction

Postby Breaker of Trolls » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:51 pm

Alex Greyjoy wrote:
Breaker of Trolls wrote:
Season one.

Wait. What???

The Americans' new season is great. IMO, this is the best drama currently on TV.

I'm enjoying the current season immensely.
Breaker of Trolls
WiC DiC

Postby UnmightyWhitey » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:51 am

I managed to watch some of "The Good Fight" with Rose Leslie speaking in an American accent (the series is not as far along in the UK as in the USA and I don't know how well Ms Leslie copes with the American accent). So far I have liked it - Christine Baranski, Bernadette Peters, the actor who played Brass in CSI all acquit themselves well as does (new to me) actress Cush Jumbo. I was surprised to learn that Ms Jumbo is another ex-pat British person. (Will the American TV industry turn against the number of British actors being cast in their programmes soon I wonder?).

I saw a couple of episodes from "The Americans" some time ago and I did like it but somehow I never finished it. Can't remember why. But (again it's some while ago) I thought the series "Justified" was good but while I am far from being the oldest swinger in town it was on a Wednesday evening and Wednesday was one of my nights for going out (not to "swing" I hasten to say), so it was probably that "The Americans" clashed with something else.

I heard something about "The Wheel of Time" being made into a TV series - I've never read those books though one does see it mentioned on ASOIAF websites (not that I visit many; it's mostly this website and Watchers on the Wall and I used to like History Behind Game of Thrones but that is either on hiatus or has finished). WoT and the Malazan are series that seem to be cited as possibly interesting people who have appreciated ASOIAF though haven't delved into them yet. But I did have a look on Wikipedia and it seems that WoT is larger than ASOIAF and I wondered if it really lent itself to adaptation unless it was a radio adaptation - they would certainly have to cut a lot of the story out. I know that always happens with expansive books whether they are fantasy or not but - well I have my doubts if it would work with that series, but then I'm not a playwright and I haven't read the books.
UnmightyWhitey
Quesadilla Killa

Postby Alex Greyjoy » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:10 am

UnmightyWhitey wrote:I managed to watch some of "The Good Fight" with Rose Leslie speaking in an American accent (the series is not as far along in the UK as in the USA and I don't know how well Ms Leslie copes with the American accent). So far I have liked it - Christine Baranski, Bernadette Peters, the actor who played Brass in CSI all acquit themselves well as does (new to me) actress Cush Jumbo. I was surprised to learn that Ms Jumbo is another ex-pat British person. (Will the American TV industry turn against the number of British actors being cast in their programmes soon I wonder?).

I saw a couple of episodes from "The Americans" some time ago and I did like it but somehow I never finished it. Can't remember why. But (again it's some while ago) I thought the series "Justified" was good but while I am far from being the oldest swinger in town it was on a Wednesday evening and Wednesday was one of my nights for going out (not to "swing" I hasten to say), so it was probably that "The Americans" clashed with something else.

I heard something about "The Wheel of Time" being made into a TV series - I've never read those books though one does see it mentioned on ASOIAF websites (not that I visit many; it's mostly this website and Watchers on the Wall and I used to like History Behind Game of Thrones but that is either on hiatus or has finished). WoT and the Malazan are series that seem to be cited as possibly interesting people who have appreciated ASOIAF though haven't delved into them yet. But I did have a look on Wikipedia and it seems that WoT is larger than ASOIAF and I wondered if it really lent itself to adaptation unless it was a radio adaptation - they would certainly have to cut a lot of the story out. I know that always happens with expansive books whether they are fantasy or not but - well I have my doubts if it would work with that series, but then I'm not a playwright and I haven't read the books.

You should really continue with The Americans. It's my favorite drama currently on TV. Everything about it is great.

Fuck Dorne

Alex Greyjoy
Duke of Detraction

Postby Breaker of Trolls » Fri May 05, 2017 6:33 pm

Alex Greyjoy wrote:
UnmightyWhitey wrote:I managed to watch some of "The Good Fight" with Rose Leslie speaking in an American accent (the series is not as far along in the UK as in the USA and I don't know how well Ms Leslie copes with the American accent). So far I have liked it - Christine Baranski, Bernadette Peters, the actor who played Brass in CSI all acquit themselves well as does (new to me) actress Cush Jumbo. I was surprised to learn that Ms Jumbo is another ex-pat British person. (Will the American TV industry turn against the number of British actors being cast in their programmes soon I wonder?).

You should really continue with The Americans. It's my favorite drama currently on TV. Everything about it is great.

I'll second that! If you're a member of Amazon Prime, they have all the seasons available. If you don't want to pay for it, sign up for a free trial, and you'll have 30 days to catch-up. Just don't forget to cancel.
Breaker of Trolls
WiC DiC

Postby Alex Greyjoy » Mon May 15, 2017 9:16 pm

Does anyone here watch American Gods? This show is awesome.

Fuck Dorne

Alex Greyjoy
Duke of Detraction

PreviousNext

Return to Culture