Welcome
Welcome to IS WINTER COMING?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

GoT/S5, S6 & S7 -> The Best Bookwanker/Sycophant Meltdowns

Discussion of all aspects of the TV show, the faltering novelization, the comics, the art, the new canon, the games, even the pooks, etc.

Re: GoT/S5, S6 & S7 -> The Best Bookwanker/Sycophant Meltdow

Postby Onrack » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:41 am

Yeah, I'm not sure where this "two seasons of buildup" is coming from. He had a fairly big reintroduction sure, but he was always firmly a tertiary character on the show otherwise. He served a fine purpose advising Dany to be more merciful and got a cool exit.
Onrack
Baron von GRRMhousen

Postby Onrack » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:57 am

Honestly I wish a lot more characters had been killed off before these last few episodes. Focus should be on the characters who matter.
Onrack
Baron von GRRMhousen

Postby JakeMagnus » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:29 pm

No wanker reactions to the trailer yet?
JakeMagnus
12 Hour Work Day

Postby Alex Greyjoy » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:21 am

JakeMagnus wrote:No wanker reactions to the trailer yet?

Even the wankers gave up on the pooks.

Fuck Dorne

Alex Greyjoy
Duke of Detraction

Postby Karsa » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:54 pm

"We're discussing giants robots here. Please stay on topic"

I, Gurm
- NAB -
Karsa
Janitor From Hell

Highscores: 10

Postby SerTarod » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:58 am

bwahahaha

There are some detracting pearls within that swamp of quesa luuv:

"Nah man you just have to read it 116 times before you finally see the beauty in brienne wondering around looking for Sansa and arya in a place that we as readers know they aren't in. Also we need those 8 chapters of cersei being crazy paranoid of everyone. Plus who could forget the legendary arys oak heart chapter that reveals a lot about his character before killing him immediately.
Okay I don't hate AFFC. Still the worst in the series imo. Dance wasn't great ether but at least had more things happen. Outside of like cersei's trial and Jamie in the river lands I barely remember what happened in AFFC"

:)
SerTarod
New York Jet

Postby SerTarod » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:03 am

Karsa, this topic is a goldmine!

"Or maybe he's just not good a writer? Look at how Stephen King pumps out his books- sure he has some misses, but he has more hits than GRRM while being able to write so much. The truth is GRRM has just been compromised by the money and fame of being famous, which, fair enough he should be bale to do as he pleases- he should just know his legacy will be of a failed artist who could not even complete his one signature series. And seeing as how GRRM obsesses over legacy in his writing, this should be especially painful."
and the reply:
"You shut your whore mouth, you are totally forgetting about Wild Cards"

next:

"I would have fully expected GRRM to take 4-5 years to finish TWoW. That said, its now been 6 years with no end in sight. Something is up.
I think that he is going back and changing things so that his book doesn't resemble GoT."
reply:
"God that'd be childish, don't you think?
Changing events he's been planning for years on end, just to spite the TV show HE allowed to pass him?"

next:

"Hey, Mike, checked his most recent NAB entry?
http://grrm.livejournal.com/540967.html
There he bitches about losing another Hugo to yet another author...a dozen eternities ago"
reply:
"Jesus. He must have gotten his pud sucked on for the first time at a Hugo ceremony, that's the only way I can imagine anybody caring that much about it for decades."

it carries on and on.

:snicker:

eta: there is gold in the hills!
SerTarod
New York Jet

Postby UnmightyWhitey » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:19 am

Dragon is now a YouTuber - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gw5JyOtxovo

"Why the Stannis storyline failed in Game of Thrones - Emoting & Acting" is the title - and there's also something about why the adaptation of the Dorne plot failed. The Stannis one is over 2 hours long - I got to 0:12 so I can't really judge it I guess, but life's too short, well I'm not going to watch any more of the video. Okay, if he doesn't like the show that's his prerogative.

I was reading an article on Wikipedia a few days ago - it was about a TV show from - I think - the 80s "Caravans" which was based on a James A Mitchener novel. I read the book and saw the show and that was definitely a time when the book was better than the show. Apparently (I know Wikipedia can't always be believed implicitly) Mitchener either sued or wanted to sue the people who adapted the source material because the adaptation diverged so greatly from the original. I bet there are some P----- W-----ers who would love to sue D&D or wish GRRM would!
UnmightyWhitey
Miniature Slash Fanboi

Postby Karsa » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:25 am

I, Gurm
- NAB -
Karsa
Janitor From Hell

Postby Karsa » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:33 am

UnmightyWhitey wrote:Dragon is now a YouTuber - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gw5JyOtxovo

"Why the Stannis storyline failed in Game of Thrones - Emoting & Acting" is the title - and there's also something about why the adaptation of the Dorne plot failed. The Stannis one is over 2 hours long - I got to 0:12 so I can't really judge it I guess, but life's too short, well I'm not going to watch any more of the video. Okay, if he doesn't like the show that's his prerogative.

I was reading an article on Wikipedia a few days ago - it was about a TV show from - I think - the 80s "Caravans" which was based on a James A Mitchener novel. I read the book and saw the show and that was definitely a time when the book was better than the show. Apparently (I know Wikipedia can't always be believed implicitly) Mitchener either sued or wanted to sue the people who adapted the source material because the adaptation diverged so greatly from the original. I bet there are some P----- W-----ers who would love to sue D&D or wish GRRM would!

At least his line ends with him, because that weird fuck is never, ever gonna get any...

I, Gurm
- NAB -
Karsa
Janitor From Hell

Postby Karsa » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:33 pm

Karsa wrote:It gets whimsical at times...

https://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comment ... bout_twow/

I was wrong. It can get more pathetic.

https://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comment ... ut_before/

I, Gurm
- NAB -
Karsa
Janitor From Hell

Postby saucerhead » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:23 pm

A few people are still sailing up the Nile, I see. But we are not lone voices howling in the wilderness anymore, either.
saucerhead
Grizzled GRRuMbler

Postby UnmightyWhitey » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:44 am

saucerhead wrote:A few people are still sailing up the Nile, I see. But we are not lone voices howling in the wilderness anymore, either.

I note that activity on this board is quieter than when I first joined - could that be indicative of people "wandering off" from ASOIAF generally? Of course, there will always be the hardcore fans. Things might become more active when the GoT season for this year begins I suppose. I sometimes visit Watchers on the Wall and that seems to be fairly active - not sure about Censeros!

I googled "criticisim of ASOIAF" and came to http://www.fantasybookreview.co.uk/Geor ... rones.html The reviews seem to vary between 10 stars and 1 star although there are a few who would be in the same position as myself (if I reviewed it - which I didn't) who have gone in the middle and given 5 or 6 stars.

Mike from Canada's review (which I have somewhat truncated) was actually quite funny (to me at least):-

"Great start aaaaand then the wheels fall off. Instead of using some of the fruit he just letting fall off the tree to rot. Instead we are given lists of crap we don't need to care about. What type of fowl they are eating, the sauce, where the sauce is from, where the fowl is from, who is eating it. .... Scene one shotgun on mantle, better use that things sometime during your performance or it shouldn't be there. A good editor would have made this a lot better. By book 3 I was still waiting on things I knew where not coming. I gave up in book 4 because I had done 8 books of Jordan and decided to never waste my time on a series that just sits around. Yes he kills characters, but it becomes trivial when it happens so often..but but that is realism. Yes and this is novel where you are suppose to bond with characters, not feel like some lofty king who rolls over a beggar in your grand caravan. Little growth that is meaningful because that character will of course die, plot that just seems to go in a circle, prose that aren't good. Yes 1 star is harsh, but jebus this could have been so much better. Book one left enough there to make 5 good series and he couldn't make one in the 5000 pages written so far."

There were quite a few reviewers on that site (to be fair some of the reviews were from a few years ago) in the sailing up the Nile category - one person (who I thought sounded a pompous twit) said that he liked the books and he had a genius IQ and therefore people who didn't like them definitely weren't genii (geniuses?). I think GRRM wrote three good books and two okay books (in ASOIAF - not tried his other stuff). I'm not sure where the god among other writers bit came from - though I guess folk are entitled to their opinions as long as they don't mind if other people disagree.

The ASOIAF fandom is my first (adult) brush with a book fandom - and I think it will be my last - I was very much sucked in by the first 2 series of the TV series and have stayed with it and read the books on the back of the TV show. (Well I was mad on Enid Blyton (deceased UK children's book writer) when I was a little girl and I did used to read the "Enid Blyton's Magazine" - was liking Enid Blyton's work a type of fandom?)
UnmightyWhitey
Miniature Slash Fanboi

Postby saucerhead » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:50 am

UW - have you read "Five go Gluten Free", "Five gives up the booze" and a few other Blyton fanfic (albeit published) stories? If not, its worth the few minutes it will take.
saucerhead
Grizzled GRRuMbler

Postby UnmightyWhitey » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:30 pm

Saucer, I haven't read the "Five" send ups - there's a "Five on Brexit Island" in the bunch I believe and they are said to be funny so I'll have to see if I can check them out sometime. There are also some spoofs of the Ladybird books (the original Ladybird books were for children) for adults https://www.waterstones.com/campaign/la ... -grown-ups which again have been recommended but I haven't got around to them.
UnmightyWhitey
Miniature Slash Fanboi

PreviousNext

Return to HBO's "Game Of Thrones"