Welcome
Welcome to IS WINTER COMING?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

General Movie Thread

TV, cinema, gaming, music discussion.

Re: General Movie Thread

Postby Alex Greyjoy » Sat May 06, 2017 8:17 pm

Guardians of the Galaxy vol.2 finally came out and I absolutely loved every second of it. I think I like it even more than the first one, and that was my favorite Marvel movie. It is bigger, much funnier (everything Drax says is a comedy gold, the new character Mantis is also funny as hell, Baby Groot is used appropriately and to the maximum humorous effect), with stronger character development and in general, much more "out there" than the first. It feels like Marvel let James Gunn do whatever he wanted with it, within the confines of PG13 rating.

I will probably see it again in the cinema in a week or two.

Fuck Dorne

Alex Greyjoy
Duke of Detraction

Postby Morgoth » Sun May 21, 2017 2:56 am

Alex Greyjoy wrote:Guardians of the Galaxy vol.2 finally came out and I absolutely loved every second of it. I think I like it even more than the first one, and that was my favorite Marvel movie. It is bigger, much funnier (everything Drax says is a comedy gold, the new character Mantis is also funny as hell, Baby Groot is used appropriately and to the maximum humorous effect), with stronger character development and in general, much more "out there" than the first. It feels like Marvel let James Gunn do whatever he wanted with it, within the confines of PG13 rating.

I will probably see it again in the cinema in a week or two.

Agreed with Alex 100% though I'm somewhat disappointed about how Marvel keeps wasting "big names" like Kurt Russell in rather simplistic villains.
That aside, I had a blast and loved the movie.

King Arthur: Legend of the Sword -It flopped big time. Catastrophically, in fact. And critics savaged it. I feel like such a failure is unwarranted. It's not destined to become a classic in any way, but it's not horrible either. I had fun. There are some instances of horrible CGI and Jude Law is wasted in a generic villain (they should've allowed him to chew all the scenery), but there are also nice action sequences and Arthur and his band of misfits are a joy to watch.
Netflix fodder.

Alien: Covenant -This one will be a polarizing movie, just like Prometheus. Honestly, I loved it. Sure, there are some problems and silly situations, but nothing as aggravating as in Prometheus. All the Lindelofian crap is also nowhere to be seen, so that's a plus in my book. The ending is predictable, but badass.
Still bitter Ridley killed Alien V, however.
Mickey2093 wrote:Morgoth is NOT a particularly mature poster. Downright silly at times.

LadyDi wrote:He didn't choose the cock. The cock chose him.

https://www.goodreads.com/Val1989
Morgoth
Pinball Wizard

Postby Alex Greyjoy » Sun May 21, 2017 10:25 pm

I didn't like Arthur: Legend Of The Sword at all. There were glimmers of a proper Guy Richie movie somewhere in this mess, but the movie didn't work for me. I was bored most of the time.

If you want to see a movie where Charlie Hunnam doesn't play a generic tough guy, watch Lost City Of Z. That was amazing.

I saw Alien: Covenant too and thought it was pretty mediocre. I didn't hate it, it was a much better movie than Prometheus (which is not saying much), I liked the action scenes, the cinematography and Michael Fassbender, but the plot was just another Alien remake. The final "twist" was so obvious I wish we would just see the result of it right away.

Fuck Dorne

Alex Greyjoy
Duke of Detraction

Postby Alex Greyjoy » Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:35 pm

Wonder Woman

It's a pretty great superhero movie - very well written, shot and acted - until the last 15 minutes, where it turns into a DC cinematic universe movie with all the problems of DCCU film endings condensed into 15 minutes. It doesn't ruin the movie completely, but it hurts it.

Still, the good parts far outweigh the bad parts and I recommend it.

Fuck Dorne

Alex Greyjoy
Duke of Detraction

Postby Morgoth » Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:49 pm

You mean the battle with Ares? I haven't seen the movie, but I suppose that's what happens in the last 15 minutes.
Mickey2093 wrote:Morgoth is NOT a particularly mature poster. Downright silly at times.

LadyDi wrote:He didn't choose the cock. The cock chose him.

https://www.goodreads.com/Val1989
Morgoth
Pinball Wizard

Postby Alex Greyjoy » Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:30 pm

Morgoth wrote:You mean the battle with Ares? I haven't seen the movie, but I suppose that's what happens in the last 15 minutes.

Yes. That didn't need to be in this movie at all.

Fuck Dorne

Alex Greyjoy
Duke of Detraction

Postby fullofbile » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:12 pm

Alien: Covenant -This one will be a polarizing movie, just like Prometheus. Honestly, I loved it. Sure, there are some problems and silly situations

My main issue with Covenant (and Prometheus) is that if you are going to send a very expensive space ship to another planet, don't crew it with fucking morons.

As usual with Scott, the film looks lovely and the acting by large is good. But i can't get passed the silly situations.

Spoiler:
Why yes creepy android, I will follow you to your underground lair underneath your workshop of dissected bodies. I found your 30 min monologue about creating new life and your destruction of an alien civilisation highly interesting.
Oh you want me to peer into something that looks like an egg and has something moving inside it? Of course I will! You standing on a platform above me, rubbing your hands together and telling me everything will be fine is all the assurance I need!
fullofbile
New York Jet

Postby Den Mother » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:35 pm

Saw Wonder Woman, and was not impressed. Good, but not as great as critics made out. I actually liked a lot of the visuals in the Great Wall, and King Arthur was full of banter, which made it amusing.
DM
Den Mother
WordStar Whisperer

Postby floppykid » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:44 am

So has anyone seen the new Spiderman yet?
floppykid
Brony Dragon Dolly

Previous

Return to Culture