Welcome
Welcome to IS WINTER COMING?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Mountains, Tolkien, Worldbuilding

Where you can post your own stuff, or dissect other members' writing, or point to tips and tricks or discuss the tools of the trade.

Mountains, Tolkien, Worldbuilding

Postby Exscabular » Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:59 am

I didn't want to derail other threads.

But here is a fun link for those who like think passionately over the details of fantasy:
http://www.tor.com/2017/08/01/tolkiens- ... dle-earth/

A geologist takes on the mountains. Who else on this forum has doubted the geological integrity of Middle Earth various mountain ranges?

Otherwise this thread is mainly about world building. I don't have anything to say on this topic, but I like reading what other people say like.

Isn't it interesting how authors will build whole new worlds for some books, but for others it will be set on earth.

What are you favourite worlds? What is the biggest fantasy world ever? Christ Tolkien is still publishing stuff!!

Do you agree that D and D threw out the world building of GRRM? Judging by their intelligence, they probably didn't read even Elio's and Linda's adventures in adult escapism.
Exscabular
Hoary Whore of Hodor

Re: Mountains, Tolkien, Worldbuilding

Postby Dolan » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:34 pm

I didn't bother reading the article but anyone who happened to skim through Lotr would understand that the geography of the planet was deeply modified by Melkor and later Sauron, it's kind of annoying to hear complains about it when it obviously wasn't spontaneously shaped that way.
I still think Tolkien was the best in terms of worldbuilding, i just don't see any other fictional world fleshed out with as much detail as Tolkien's, and not just the geography but peoples, languages, cultures, etc. Erikson gets close but plays a bit too fast and loose with descriptions imo.
About D&D we gotta keep in mind how budget restrictions are part of what drove Gurm to writing Asoiaf in the first place, so it's kind of ironic that he decided to allow it to be adapted into a series, so it's no surprise it wouldn't be possible to recreate all the landscapes and scenarios and battles in the pooks with the same level of scale and detail on the show.
"Gordo puto de las gónadas perdidas de los inmaculados. Por el amor al Dios Rojo, sentate a escribir, vago malparido."

~ Words from the Prophet
Dolan
Bad Hombre

Re: Mountains, Tolkien, Worldbuilding

Postby Exscabular » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:49 pm

One point of the article is that Tolkien's imagination pre-dates knowledge of tectonic plates.
Exscabular
Hoary Whore of Hodor

Return to The Art of Writing