Welcome
Welcome to IS WINTER COMING?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

The Hugos are actually shite.

Discussion of other authors and their works, including Steven Erikson, Joe Abercrombie, Stephen King, J.R.R. Tolkien, Shawn Speakman and many other great writers.

The Hugos are actually shite.

Postby lodiymsimreg » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:55 pm

Sure you can talk about Heinlein, Clarke, Asimnov, Haldeman. Some of my favourite books won it, in the past. I particularly recommend: The Moon is a Harsh Mistress and The Fountains of Paradise.

But have you read any of the winners since 2000? Have you even heard of them?

Vernor Vinge
JK Rowling
Neil Gainman
Robert J Sawyer
Lois Mcmaster Bujold
Sussana Clarke
Robert Charles Winston
Vernor Vinge
micheal Chabon
Neil Gainman
China Meiville
Connie Willis
Jo Walton
John Scalzi
Ann Leckie
Cixin Liu
N.K. Jemisin

(Maybe you read Potter, but do you really think it's the best Sci-Fi/fantasy in the world???? And you heard of Neil Gainman because he's mates with The Gorge)
Apart from that these people are nobodies. I consider myself a fairly big fan of Sci-Fi but I literally do not know any of them.

I Actually read Robert Charles Winston's "Spin". I had never heard of him and bought it simply because it was a Hugo winner. It was atrociously bad. There was a sci-fi concept in there:The Stars disappear on Earth. But the story is told from the point of view of a non scientist who just blunders around with no clue what is going on with the stars, no description of any scientific process and no dramatic tension. He is friends with a scientist who turns up every one hundred pages or so to say something vaguely interesting. I couldn't finish it.
Really it was just a very dull novel with a sci-fi premise in the background. Having read about the others on amazon they seem to be the same.

Who votes for this dreck, and why? Does anyone seriously believe that the recent winners deserve to be considered Sci-Fi classics? Is no decent Sci-Fi getting written anymore?
lodiymsimreg
Owner of "It"

Re: The Hugos are actually shite.

Postby Den Mother » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:58 pm

Spin was truly awful. So boring.
Yes, I have read every single one of these authors. Are all the books great. Nope. But some are interesting. Gaiman is quirky and magical. Bujold is a favorite with the Vorkosigon series. China Meiville is weird but really fascinatingly weird. I like some of Connie Willis' stuff. Liked Vernor Vinge.
Are some of the books, shite? Yes. But, don't you think that a lot depends on what the other books were that year?
What authors do you love?
DM

Vernor Vinge
JK Rowling
Neil Gainman.
Robert J Sawyer
Lois Mcmaster Bujold
Sussana Clarke
Robert Charles Winston
Vernor Vinge
micheal Chabon
Neil Gainman
China Meiville
Connie Willis
Jo Walton
John Scalzi
Ann Leckie
Cixin Liu
N.K. Jemisin
Den Mother
WordStar Whisperer

Postby Exscabular » Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:35 am

Robert J. Sawer writes excellent sic-fi. Some of his novels are set in my home city, Toronto. He also writes a lot. He novels often deal with current scientific questions, like the neutrino thing under France and Switzerland alongside philosophical themes, like free will. He also wrote a space opera kinda book, so he tries other styles within sci-fi. It doesn't matter to me that he won a hugo.

I've heard China Meiville. I don't why. Isn't he or she famous?

edit:
I have also heard of Jo Walton. I bought a book she wrote about revisiting fantasy and sic-fi - I was looking for interesting titles and I thought the book would be helpful. It was. But what ruined it was her entry (the book was in fact her blog which she published) on Gurm. She criticises detractors and defends George. Lol. I mean she can think what she wants, but we aren't THAT important. I've been waiting a long time bring up Jo Walton on Winterisnevercoming.com. After I read her entry on Gurm, my eyes were opened. I found her opinions to be rubbish. Like she's says readers should read the book in the sequence it was written - she means from beginning to end - no skipping - no skimming - what sheer arrogance, I can read whatever bloody order I want to. Publishing a blog is a money grab idea anyway - selling something which used to be free. But.. the title selection in the book is really good. And caveat: haven't read any of her novels, but I would like to.
Exscabular
Hoary Whore of Hodor

Postby Mr Troll » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:52 am

I have read and enjoyed some of these authors. Particularly China Meiville but I 100% agree, Hugos are overblown shit. Just an average award with a lot of drama.
I am The Darkness That Comes Before.
Mr Troll
Lurking with Lindaaaa

Postby Atreyu » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:47 pm

I read Scalzi's Redshirts so I have to agree a Hugo win isn't worth much. Mieville is pretty good and of course there is Rowling. But modern genre authors just don't stack up against their predecessors, haven't for a long time and probably never will again.
No, I am not a best-selling fantasy author whose series HBO picked up. But I did stay at a Holiday Inn. Go fuck yourself.
Atreyu
El Consolador

Postby saucerhead » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:53 pm

I recognize all those names. I've personally only read Vinge and Scalzi. I was impressed by Vinge, but his stuff is not really my cup of tea, ultimately.

But these days I generally treat "Hugo-nominated" as a warning, not an endorsement.
saucerhead
Grizzled GRRuMbler

Return to Other Literature