Welcome
Welcome to IS WINTER COMING?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Any nitpicky questions you know the show won't answer?

The forum where you can debate the long waits between books in the "A Song of Ice and Fire" saga without being banned or frowned upon (depending on how you choose to word yourself, you *may* expect frowning).

Any nitpicky questions you know the show won't answer?

Postby FireAtDawn » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:49 am

For example, it always bothered me how Robert never even had any doubts about Cersei's kids. I realize George basically wrote him as a drunken idiot, who clung onto the past, but after having a few kids with other women, did he not look at his three supposed legitimate ones, all with blonde hair and green eyes, and start to question if they were even his? I mean, Cersei was openly antagonistic towards him pretty early on in their marriage. It really shouldn't have been that far from his mind.
FireAtDawn
Twitter Meltdown Minx

Re: Any nitpicky questions you know the show won't answer?

Postby saucerhead » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:16 am

Damn, I wish I still cared about this stuff like it was 2004 - or even 2008 - but I just don't. I'd have to go read the books again, and that would just make me angry and then sad.
saucerhead
Grizzled GRRuMbler

Postby Broken Fox » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:34 am

Yeah a few years back when I was fresh off the books I could probably bang out a list pretty quick but at this point there's so much I've forgotten. I'll think on it.

Also, I always assumed Robert knew the truth deep down but didn't give enough of a shit to confront it and go thru the trouble all of that would lead to. Like Tywin knowing about Jaime and Cersei. Easier for their mind and reputation to just turn a blind eye.
Broken Fox
Cuban-American Whiplash Boy

Postby FireAtDawn » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:02 am

Broken Fox wrote: Also, I always assumed Robert knew the truth deep down but didn't give enough of a shit to confront it and go thru the trouble all of that would lead to. Like Tywin knowing about Jaime and Cersei. Easier for their mind and reputation to just turn a blind eye.

That's probably what George was going for, but I wish he would've hinted at it a little bit. Like, have Robert make an offhand comment or something.
Otherwise, he looks like the world's biggest dumbass, which may have been what Gurm wants so idk
FireAtDawn
Twitter Meltdown Minx

Postby Alex Greyjoy » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:00 am

Why did the technology in this world doesn't seem to progress at all for many thousands of years?

Fuck Dorne

Alex Greyjoy
Duke of Detraction

Postby Morgoth » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:19 am

FireAtDawn wrote:
Broken Fox wrote: Also, I always assumed Robert knew the truth deep down but didn't give enough of a shit to confront it and go thru the trouble all of that would lead to. Like Tywin knowing about Jaime and Cersei. Easier for their mind and reputation to just turn a blind eye.

That's probably what George was going for, but I wish he would've hinted at it a little bit. Like, have Robert make an offhand comment or something.
Otherwise, he looks like the world's biggest dumbass, which may have been what Gurm wants so idk

I think he just didn't give a shit about his wife and kids. He spent all his time whoring and drinking.
GRRM does make it a point that if Robert ever "found out" Cersei's head would roll, but I think it would be because of a "Someone messing with my property" macho mentality. It's not so hard to believe, really.
Mickey2093 wrote:Morgoth is NOT a particularly mature poster. Downright silly at times.

LadyDi wrote:He didn't choose the cock. The cock chose him.

https://www.goodreads.com/Val1989
Morgoth
Pinball Wizard

Postby Morgoth » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:29 am

If I had to nitpick anything, it would be how nobody ever talks about the day Hodor lost his mind. We certainly don't know if the "Hold the Door" reveal will (as if! Because that pook won't come out) happen as in the show, but unless nobody saw it happening...it doesn't make much sense. Half of Winterfell saw it happening in the show, so I'm going to assume the pook version is similar. And I think that a child suddenly having a fucking seizure and shouting HOLD THE DOOR would be enough of a big deal for them to keep discussing it years later. But nobody says anything. The Stark children think he's just a simpleton. Why? (I know, "what a twist y'all!", but alas).
Mickey2093 wrote:Morgoth is NOT a particularly mature poster. Downright silly at times.

Morgoth
Pinball Wizard

Postby Emperor Cronos » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:42 pm

Alex Greyjoy wrote:Why did the technology in this world doesn't seem to progress at all for many thousands of years?

I'd guess that's part of what the Maester's Conspiracy that Gurm tried to start introducing in Feast and Dance was about; keeping the world from advancing. Probably they worked with the Faceless men in Essos, and maybe others... or Others. No gun powder, improved farming techniques or new political ideologies.
Emperor Cronos
Tits & Dragons

Postby Broken Fox » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:50 pm

Morgoth wrote:If I had to nitpick anything, it would be how nobody ever talks about the day Hodor lost his mind. We certainly don't know if the "Hold the Door" reveal will (as if! Because that pook won't come out) happen as in the show, but unless nobody saw it happening...it doesn't make much sense. Half of Winterfell saw it happening in the show, so I'm going to assume the pook version is similar. And I think that a child suddenly having a fucking seizure and shouting HOLD THE DOOR would be enough of a big deal for them to keep discussing it years later. But nobody says anything. The Stark children think he's just a simpleton. Why? (I know, "what a twist y'all!", but alas).

What's there to say? In a medieval world with limited medical/psychiatric knowledge "the seizure made him even dumber and now he only says one word" is a totally acceptable explanation.
Broken Fox
Cuban-American Whiplash Boy

Postby Morgoth » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:20 am

Broken Fox wrote:
What's there to say? In a medieval world with limited medical/psychiatric knowledge "the seizure made him even dumber and now he only says one word" is a totally acceptable explanation.

That no one ever discusses it. The Stark children grew up thinking "Hodor" was his name and that he's always been a simpleton. And it's not like it was a dirty secret or anything, so why nobody ever told them what really happened?
Similar to the reveal of Jon being the son of Rhaegar and Lyanna: it's just GRRM withholding information so he can deliver a twist. Like...why didn't Ned tell the truth to Catelyn? I can understand lying to everyone else, but even to his wife? Of course, that's because Catelyn was a POV character and if she knew, there wouldn't be a twist.

Morgoth
Pinball Wizard

Postby Exscabular » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:52 am

The bones of ned stark
The ghost of winter fell

Maybe these have been revealed.
Exscabular
Hoary Whore of Hodor

Return to Is Winter Coming?