Welcome
Welcome to IS WINTER COMING?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

The Wheel of Time Turns, but not fast enough for some fans!

Discussion of other authors and their works, including Steven Erikson, Joe Abercrombie, Stephen King, J.R.R. Tolkien, Shawn Speakman and many other great writers.

The Wheel of Time Turns, but not fast enough for some fans!

Postby silentmajority » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:03 pm

Tor set the release date for the final Wheel of Time book A Memory of Light yesterday, and a lot of fans were pissed off because the date if January 8, 2013. Personally, I am not understanding the anger because it probably wouldn't have been released before late November anyways, so the date was only pushed back 5 or 6 weeks... Big Whoop.

I suppose that some will try and compare this to what GURM did for six years, but that just isn't the case as Brandon Sanderson and Co. have been upfront and forthright with us for the entire time they have been working on these final books, where as GURM pretended that there wasn't a book that was late.

For anyone interested here is Brandon Sanderson's blog post about the date:

http://brandonsanderson.com/blog/1058/A ... lease-Date

Tor announcement

http://www.tor.com/blogs/2012/02/the-re ... s-been-set

For me I have decided to ditch my ASoIaF reread and restart my WoT reread since I have plenty of time before George get around to finishing his next novel.
Have any of you even considered that maybe George just isn't that good? That he got lucky with the first three books? That he had a great story leading up to the Red Wedding and the rest of the story he has no frickin' clue? haha Does that even cross your minds? ~ Shawn Speakman 1/31/2012
silentmajority
The God Of GRRuMble

Re: The Wheel of Time Turns, but not fast enough for some fa

Postby Atreyu » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:14 pm

Oh noes! My precious book has been delayed six weeks! How will I ever survive the wait?

Amateurs. Mother fucking amateurs.
No, I am not a best-selling fantasy author whose series HBO picked up. But I did stay at a Holiday Inn. Go fuck yourself.
Atreyu
El Consolador

Postby moose » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:33 pm

Well, I seem to recall them saying they would be out a year apart.

So, it's like, a year and a little bit late. As everyone else says - boo hoo. This is the end, you'll be waiting the rest of your life for another one. Take a break, read something good.

Obviously not Gurm readers. :doh:
moose
Nobody´s Bitch !

Postby Slynt » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:11 pm

I'm glad I like GRRM, the assault of update posts these last few months has really gotten me excited for The Winds of Winter's release in April.
Slynt
Nobody´s Bitch !

Postby Den Mother » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:19 am

When is WOW coming out?
April is when Game of Thrones on TV begins again.
Is that what you meant?
Thanks.
Den Mother
Waterlogged Calendar Hustler

Postby Splitter » Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:58 am

Atreyu wrote:Oh noes! My precious book has been delayed six weeks! How will I ever survive the wait?

Amateurs. Mother fucking amateurs.

This
Splitter
Duke of Detraction

Postby flowered » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:35 am

I am one of those who really waits with great longing the MoL.
The fact it would not be one book (but three instead) made me not very happy. But as it is almost obvious - as if there was no other way.
Then I hoped for publishing the third part of the MoL during November of the previous year. yet it was quite convincing that Br.Sun. needs to re-read the whole series before he can start and eventually finish RJ book.

Now I inderstood that there was some more (yet this is by all standards - MINOR posponement.) And again I am not very happy for I really want this book.

Yet I cannot be angry to Br.Sun.:

- this is not his book.
- he is actually working on it w/o wasting his time for BulSh
- He never tryed to make me buy some crappy books (all kind of merchandises = trade mark BuShi actually) when I checked the WoT completion status on his site
- he is always very informative. Progress bars and all - He even provided exact date now.
- I can't remeber that he missed his terms for the time being. But even if it had happened - it would have been still acceptable. It is understandable but in some moderate stages.
With Gurm we have always excessiveness
- Nor RJ, neither Br.Sun. have ever called me detractor or the likes...

And GRRM is in total contrast.

+

his quality of writing deteriorates.
---
KEEPING PEOPLE WAITING.—A sure way of exasperating people and of putting bad thoughts into their heads is to keep them waiting long. That makes them immoral- Human All-Too-Human (310), Friedrich Nietzsche
---
GRRM happens to be fat. This is a fact. He happens to be disrespectful of the role his fans have played in his financial success. This is a fact. He happens to have a highly questionable work ethic. This is a fact. We aren't defaming anyone, we're calling it like we see it.

scorpiknox
flowered
Cuntstained Finger

Postby moose » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:49 pm

Do you really think anybody could have finished it in one book?

Robert Jordan advances the plot inches over 5 books... Sanderson is expected to wrap it up in one?!

It would have been even more jarring than it is.
moose
Nobody´s Bitch !

Postby bboybelwas » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:47 pm

A year does seem like a long time for a book being announced as finished and it's actual publication date, especially when it's a book as high profile as this one. I think that part of the reason for this is that it's the finale and they want to make it feel like a huge event, so they're leaving themselves plenty of time for extra publicity plus avoiding getting mixed in with the glut of holiday releases.
bboybelwas
Owner of "It"

Postby moose » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:28 am

I think some people are confused in that it's going to be edited, which will take some time. With some other series you might imagine they weren't.

:troll:
moose
Nobody´s Bitch !

Postby Key Lime Pie » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:44 am

What is this editing of which you speak?

I guess I should get back to reading the last two.
Key Lime Pie
Nobody´s Bitch !

Postby flodros » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:08 pm

bboybelwas wrote:A year does seem like a long time for a book being announced as finished and it's actual publication date, especially when it's a book as high profile as this one. I think that part of the reason for this is that it's the finale and they want to make it feel like a huge event, so they're leaving themselves plenty of time for extra publicity plus avoiding getting mixed in with the glut of holiday releases.

Has it actually been 'finished'? All Sanderson has said is that he's handed in a first draft. The way he seems to write is to get the story on paper and worry about re-writes after that. Other writers seem to either re-write as they go or announce the finished product further along the re-write process. Sandersons transparency may be his downfall.

Leaving aside the years delay mentioned by moose, Sanderson had always given a rough date of march to fall so you could make an argument that it's more than 5-6 weeks - that's timing it from the very end of Sandersons prediction. Plus add the 6+ months until they release the e-book version. But at the end of the day - fuck it. I have complete faith that I will actually see this book, unlike WoW.
flodros

Highscores: 1

Postby nlm4501 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:16 pm

IIRC (Dragonmount.com???) I read that BS said editing of his volumes of WoT usually takes approximately 6 edits (not sure I worded that properly - but like this ... he turns in final draft, edit, changes made, edit again, more changes, etc.).

Plus I agree with what has already been stated - BS has been absolutely gracious throughout this whole process - he felt honoured to finish RJ's work, and has had nothing but priaise for WoT fans unlike Gorge who hates anyone who doesn't lick his ass (play on words: I have a wonderful friend from Poland and she always says that instead of kiss his ass - it is so perfect I never want her to change it)!

Anyway I will BUY MoL when released, unlike WoW - as I never plan on putting another dime down Gorge's gullet!

(People are right - Slyntrage is kinda sweet)
July 12, 2011 "The day the music died . . . . . . "
nlm4501
BwB Dumpster Diver

Postby flodros » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:58 pm

I thought I read on one of his twitter posts that he did 11 re-writes/edits on ToM and there were still typo's and continuity issues. He did also say on one of his blog posts that they would take more time on MoL because of this.

I agree that BS gets a pass, not only for the reasons that you and flowered stated, but also because many of the problems - such as the release dates - are out of his control. Even when he added a years delay - which was his fault - you got the impression that it was for the benefit of the fans, not himself.
flodros

Highscores: 1

Postby Edmund Dantes » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:13 pm

Brandon Sanderson and GRRM. Both of them are writers. Only one of them is a professional author.
Edmund Dantes

Next

Return to Other Literature